december 18, 2014

i was upstairs, blasting my music when luke's grandmother called.

"are you okay?" she asked worriedly.

"why wouldn't i be?" i responded.

"i'm just worried about you being alone with your mom," she sighed.

"oh, yeah. well, it's not really good for me to be with her but i don't have another choice," i mumbled.

"do want to stay over? you can bring peanut."

"really?" i sat up and awaited for her response.

"sure, we don't mind."

i repeatedly thanked her as i rushed around to get my shoes.

"alexa," she laughed, "it's okay, you don't have to thank me. we honestly love having you at our house."

"thank you," i breathed even though she just told me not the thank her.

"you're welcome, honey. do you want me to make you some lasagna?"

"yes! oh my god, yes please," i grinned. lasagna was basically my favorite food.

"alright. we'll see you soon!"

i said 'bye' before hanging up, getting peanut, and running to my mom's car.

«»

i rocked back and forth on my heels as i stood on their porch after ringing their doorbell. i heard a crash before seeing luke swing the door open.

"someone's happy to see me," i giggled and raised one eyebrow at him. he blushed before pulling me in and letting peanut run past both of us.

"is alexa here?" anne walked out of the room and smiled at me, "your lasagna is almost ready."

i grinned and nodded before looking back at luke. He was sitting on the floor, playing with peanut with a small smile on his face.

"oh! i also sent charlie out to get some food for peanut."

"you didn't have to do that," i shook my head.

"it's no problem, really."

"thank you," i said for the one hundredth time today.

"you're welcome. do you want your lasagna now?" she asked.

"yes please," i nodded and followed her into the kitchen. i heard the front door open and shut followed by the sound of charlie's voice.

"i got the food!"

"in here!"

he came in with a medium bag of dog food in his arms.

"here, i can do it," i smiled and stood up to take it from him. anne gave me a bowl and i filled it with the food. luke carried peanut in and the moment the bowl of food was in his sight peanut was on the floor an he was eating it like it was going to disappear. luke sat down at the table next to me as i ate my lasagna.

once i was finish we went to his room and peanut followed. i sat on his bed with him and leaned my head onto luke's shoulder. i took my phone out of my back pocket and it started ringing; it was my mom. i stared down at it, contemplating on if i should answer or not. luke made my decision for me. he gently took my phone from me and hit 'ignore'.

"i can't do it anymore," i shook my head, my voice cracking, "i can't keep looking after her like she's a fucking two-year-old." luke brought his arm over my shoulders and pulled me closer to him.

"it's all too much for me. i could handle not having a dad but i'm not sure i can handle not having any parents." he cringed slightly and i started mentally kicking myself.