november 1, 2014

the store we went to was a second hand store that contained a lot of items but lacked people. no one in this town had to shop here except for a few. the sad part was that i bought everything from here so the owners actually knew me pretty well.

"hello, alexa!" sarah, the owner, greeted me.

"hi," i smiled weakly.

"what do you need today?" she asked.

"better shoes," i replied.

"well, you know where those are," she laughed lightly and let luke and i walk past her. i scanned the shelves for a pair of shoes that would work. i found a pair of boots that were my size and i slipped them on. i stood in front of the mirror and inspected them. they looked nice except for how worn down the soles were.

"i look like a wannabe white girl," i scrunched up my nose. they looked liked uggs but they were a different brand. i didn't like them but i couldn't be picky. i walked around a in a circle to see if they fit or not; they did.

"do you like them?" i asked luke.

he shrugged.

i sighed, "i'm going to get them. i don't really have another choice." i pulled them off and padded up to the register. rebecca, sarah's daughter, was sixteen-years-old. she had long, black hair, black lipstick, and all black clothes. most people thought we would get along great but turns out we're very different. she was rude, talked in one word sentences, and she didn't even make any eye contact with you.

"hey," i gave her a fake smile. she gave me a sarcastic smile before she took a double take and looked past me.

"hi," she smiled at luke.

"i'll just take these," i pushed the boots towards here. she huffed and rolled her eyes. she scanned the boots and leaned forward so she could look directly at luke.

"i'm becca, what's your name?" she asked and bit her lip. i saw luke staring at her with wide eyes but he kept on glancing over at me.

"how much are they?" i asked, trying to get her attention back to me.

"give me twenty-two dollars," she said curtly being looking back at luke.

"here," i put the crumpled dollar bills on the counter.

"what's your name?" she asked again, leaning forward so luke could see her more clearly.

"can i have my change?" i huffed.

"give me a minute," she snapped. rebecca turned back to luke. he looked really confused and then he turned on his heels to walk out of the store. rebecca's jaw dropped as she watched the tall blonde walk out. i turned to her and bit the inside of my cheek so i wouldn't smirk or laugh.

"here's your change," she grumbled as she held out her pale hand.

"thank you," i chirped and took it from her. i hopped around as i tried to get the boots on. i didn't want to walk around in my vans anymore. i eventually got them on and walked out to luke. he pushed himself off the brick wall his back was leaning on and grabbed my hand.

"your hands are so warm," i whispered and looked down at them. he took both of my hands in his and warmed them up as we walked. i leaned against him while i looked down at my new shoes. they were a light brown with a white and fuzzy interior my feet didn't feel like they were going to freeze off so that was good.

"what do i do with these?" i asked as i looked at he vans, "i can't just throw them away because they're still wearable but i don't want to carry them around all day." luke took the shoes from me and put them into his backpack. i'm pretty sure he never left his house without that bag.