october 25 2014

i was sitting around on the couch while i picked my nails when my phone started ringing. i shot off the couch and scrambled to unplug my phone from the charger.

"is it michael?" my mother grinned at me. saturdays were her days off from the café but after five she left to go work at the hospital.

"no," i said.

"then why did you get it so fast?"

"it's luke's grandmother," i said excitedly and answered it.

"why is his grandmother calling you?"

"hi, it's alexa," i greeted, ignoring my mother.

"hello! i was just calling to tell you and luke finally came out of his room but he won't eat. he just sits and stares at the ceiling."

"oh," i mumbled.

"could you come over?" she asked me, exasperated.

"if you want me to."

"yes, please come over."

"oh, uh, okay," i said and got up, "let me just get dressed."

"why do you have to get dressed?" my mom asked once i hung up.

"i'm going to luke's. can you drive me?" i asked.

"so you do like luke?"

"i don't know. maybe? i mean there's
michael but then luke just- i- hmph," i huffed.

"okay, i'll drive you," she pursed her lips after sighing. i ran upstairs and changed out of my pajamas and into leggings and a sweatshirt.

"you ready?"

"mhm," i nodded and walked out into the cold.

"where does he live?" she asked and started the car.

"just keep driving straight. i'll tell you when to stop."

«»

"he's in the living room," luke's grandmother said once i was in their house.

i nodded and rushed to the living room. he was lying in the couch as he stared at the tv. it was on the netflix homepage; he wasn't watching anything.

"hey, shrug," i said softly and sat down next to his feet, "how are you?"

he lifted his right shoulder just a little bit.

"well, you're shrugging again," i smiled a little.

he shrugged weakly.

"i don't think i've ever been happier to see you shrug," i giggled and nudged his foot, "you hungry?"

he furrowed his eyebrows and curled up in a tight ball.

"i take it you've been asked that a lot," i smiled sadly, "me too."

he lifted his head a little so he could look at me.

"you really should eat, though."

he moved his head back down.

"come on, shrug," i pouted. i got up and tried pulling him up. i huffed when he wouldn't move.

"please eat," i begged him softly as i got on my knees in front of him, "i don't like seeing you upset and i'm sure you're hungry."

he buried his face back into his arm so
i sighed and pushed myself up. before i could go back to my seat he grabbed my hand and pulled me back. i let out a small squeak as i landed next to him. he buried his face into my shoulder and wrapped his sweater clad arms around me. i stared up at the ceiling with wide eyes and tensed a bit. he felt me tense up and loosened his grip on me. he looked at me with these big, puppy dog eyes and i instantly relaxed, turning over and cuddling up into his chest. i felt his chest rise and fall as he sighed heavily.