december 3 2014

luke was still sleeping when missy came in again.

"i really need to talk to him," she said.

"he's sleeping," i whispered. luke obviously didn't want to talk to her. if he didn't want to, then i was going to do everything that i could to get her to leave.

"well then we can wake him up," she started walking towards us but i moved closer to him. he whined before nuzzling his face into my shoulder.

"now isn't a good time," i shook my head.

"honey, please," she said in a condescending tone, "i think i know what's best for him."

i shook my head again. although i was being quiet, she was not and that must have woken luke up. he made eye contact with missy before quickly rolling over so he was facing the other way. i flicked my eyebrows up at her in a way of saying, 'i'm right.' she rolled her eyes before walking over to the other side of the bed so she could see luke. he tried turning back over but she put a hand on his shoulder so he couldn't. i mumbled a goodbye, glared at missy, and walked out.

i went back to the small waiting room and sat in the same chair.

"how was he?" both of his grandparents asked at the same time.

"he just slept, a lot."

his grandmother nodded slowly, "that's good. he needs the rest."

"yeah," i breathed but then realization struck me, "how is he going to get home?"

"we aren't sure, he got here just fine because, well, he wasn't conscious but now we aren't sure what to do. we're going to wait for missy to tell us what we should do."

i nodded slowly, "when can he go home?"

"tomorrow," they said in unison. they were so cute. they had obviously been together for most of their lives and they managed to last up until now. they got to achieve what everyone wanted: to grow old with someone.

"would you like a ride home?" his grandmother asked, "we're going to say goodbye and then we'll head home."

"um, i'll see what my mom says." that was a lie. i was going to see what luke wanted.

«»

after what felt like forever, missy came out of his room.

"he's refusing to eat, he won't show any signs of emotion, and he seems the same as he always is except worse. he's just staring at the ceiling," she sighed and clutched her clipboard to her chest, "i'm not sure what to do."

"what did you do with him?" i asked curiously.

"just asked him questions," she shrugged.

"can i see them?" she furrowed her eyebrows at me but handed me her blue clipboard. i walked into luke's room and sat on his bed.

"so, shrug, how are you feeling about this situation that we are currently stuck in?" i asked. he sat up and tilted his head as he stared at me. "i'm guessing you don't feel very good. the whole 'how are you feeling?' questions are bullshit." my eyes widened as i realized his grandparents were in the room but they didn't seem to care.

i hummed as i flipped through the crisp and clean pages of notes she had, "do you want to eat?"

he stared down at his lap and i saw his left shoulder lift just a bit. i bit my lip and smiled down at the clipboard.

"they have pizza and chocolate pudding," i sing-songed.

he shrugged slightly.

"no? you don't want it?"