november 22 2014

i was sitting on the bench, about ready to give up on looking for peanut, when i felt something nudge my shin. i looked down and saw peanut and when i looked up, i saw luke.

"oh my god! thank you!" i gasped and stood on the bench so it was easier to wrap my arm around his neck. i jumped up and he wrapped his arms around my waist to hold me up. i grinned at him and in the spur of the moment i almost kissed him. almost. but i stopped myself. i got down and scooped up peanut instead.

i frowned, "you're so skinny and your hair..." i could see his ribcage like how he was when i first found him. his short fur was matted and caked with dirt, too. even though he was beat up, his stubby tail was still wagging and he was trying to lick my face. "i missed you so much. oh i love you, you little nut never run away, okay? never. i swear if you scare me like that again i will never forgive you," i let him nuzzle his snout into the crook of my neck and i hugged him tightly as i muttered "i love you" over and over again.

"you're a lifesaver, thank you," i grinned up at luke. he smiled at me and sat down. "do you think we could go get food for him?" luke nodded and stood up. we walked to the pet store and i pulled out a crumpled five dollar bill.

"i have this," i said and held it up. luke shifted peanut around so he could pull out his wallet. he handed it to me.

"no," i said sternly.

he nodded and walked outside. i groaned before searching for some dog food. i got a the cheapest can i could get. i walked back out to luke after i payed for it and handed him his wallet back.

"guess what," i smirked, "i bought this by myself." he rolled his eyes before shoving his wallet back into his pants. "okay, i lied. i bought three cans and used your money to buy them. i'm sorry."

he just shrugged. i opened one can and the minute i put it in front of peanut and he ate it within seconds. he licked it clean so i opened another one. he ate that one, too.

"wow, you were hungry," i whispered, "it sucks, doesn't it?" a wave of sadness washed over me and i leaned my head on luke's shoulder. he draped his arm over my shoulder and pulled me closer. i opened the third and final can and he ate it all but not as fast as he did with the other ones. i stroked his back and did my best to get some clumps of dirt out but it wasn't helping.

"he needs a bath," i stated. luke nodded and got up. i was confused as of why he went into the pet store but when he came out he had dog shampoo with him. i set peanut on the ground so i could get up. i wasn't even paying attention to him until i realized he was lagging behind. i turned around and watched peanut limp over to us. i dropped down to my knees so i could inspect his legs. he had a few small cuts but nothing serious, i'm guessing it was just sore muscles or his paws hurt because of the cold weather. i picked him up and cradled him in my arms as we walked.

we got to luke's house and he led me to the bathroom across from his bedroom. there were hair products, deodorant, cologne, toothpaste, and a toothbrush on the sink.

"you have a lot of hair stuff," i observed and he blushed in embarrassment. i laughed before setting peanut down. he had grown a lot since i had last seen him and he was heavier.

luke turned a nob and soon water was pouring out of the faucet of the bathtub. i walked to the kitchen to get a large plastic cup. i basically lived here so i knew where everything was. when i came back, the tub was filled with warm water and luke was cuddling with peanut. i sat down next to them and luke gave the dog one more kiss before gently setting him in the bathtub.

"you're okay," i coaxed, "just calm down." he was whimpering and whining as he scratched the side in a desperate attempt to escape. soon he seemed to calm down so i slowly poured some water on him but the minute it touched his back, he jumped out of the bathtub and ran to the door. luke shot up and pushed the door shut before he could run out. peanut whined and pushed against the door. luke grunted as he tried to pick him up but peanut kept struggling against him. i couldn't help but giggle at how hard luke was trying. he finally got peanut back into the tub and i soothingly scratched behind his ear until he calmed down.