may 8, 2015

i woke up on top of luke on the kitchen floor. i sleepily got up and rubbed my eyes to get the sleep out of them.

"luke," i whispered and gently shook his shoulders, "get up."

"where am i?" he asked groggily.

"on the kitchen floor."

"what the hell?"

"we must've fallen asleep last night," i yawned and stood up. he nodded and held out his hands until i grabbed them and helped him to his feet.

"i need pain stuff," he mumbled and stumbled around.

"right here," i opened the cabinet and got them out. he took them from me and grabbed a water bottle out of the fridge. he took some before stumbling off to his room. i did the same.

«»

when luke and i got home i saw an all too familiar woman on his couch.

"what is she doing here?" i stammered as i pointed a shaky finger at my mother.

"grandma, why is she here?" luke came up behind me and protectively wrapped his arms around me.

"she has some concerns about alexa."

"no," i squeaked, "no please make her leave. there's nothing wrong."

"there is so much wrong!" she snapped.

"like what?" charlie asked quietly.

"ever since she left me to go live with you her grades have been dropping, she's ignored me, and she got detention yesterday! she even skips school!"

"detention? she was being tutored for math, right luke?"

he laughed nervously and backed away from me.

"i got the call from the principal saying she got detention for being in the boys' bathroom."

"i was helping luke!"

they all gave me a shocked look.

"not like that!" i groaned, "he was crying and i went to console him."

"so you lied to us?" anne asked, hurt laced in her voice.

"m-maybe," he stuttered, "i didn't mean to. i just didn't want you to get mad at alexa."

"you've never lied to us!"

"see! he's a bad influence. we're leaving, alexa," my mother stood.

"where?"

"home."

"no," i shook my head frantically, "you can't make me."

"you're my daughter and you will do what i say, let's go," she grabbed my wrist and dragged me to the door.

"she can't take her!" luke protested, "her mom beats her and they don't even have food!"

"she beats you?" anne asked.

"if you say yes you won't get lunch or dinner for three days," my mother hissed lowly.

"no," i lied, "no she doesn't hit me. it's just a few arguments here and there, nothing serious."

"no! no she's lying i swear! i can tell when she's lying!"

"i'm not lying," i stood up straighter to look confident.

"luke, this is her mom. alexa has to go with her," charlie said softly and put his hand on his grandson's shoulder.

"no," he mumbled weakly, "please don't take her away from me. i've already lost so many people."