october 20, 2014

i was walking out of school when i saw a black blur run past me; luke. i bit my lip contemplating on if i should call after him or not.

"shrug!" i shouted. when he didn't stop running i started running after him, "luke, slow down!"

he stopped abruptly and turned around. i finally caught up to him and grabbed his broad shoulder as i tried to catch my breath. he flinched under my touch.

"s-sorry," i stammered in between breaths as i removed my hand, "i'm not very good at running, at all."

he stared at me with his big, blue eyes. there was something about him that made him look like a timid boy but his stubble and styled hair made him look mature at the same time.

"why are you staring at me?" i asked.
he blushed a deep pink and looked away as he quickly shuffled forward.

"hey, it's okay. i don't mind if you stare. there's not much to look at but if you want to stare then you can."

he slowly looked back at me. i was used to stares and whispers but he wasn't staring at me like he was judging me. it was a different stare.

"do you walk home too?" i asked, "i have to because i don't have a car. it kind of sucks in the winter but...there's no upside really. i'm probably the only senior who doesn't have a car. except i don't think you have a car..." i continued to ramble on. i literally had no one to talk to because my mom was always gone. i found myself talking to walls a lot. i guess i really liked to talk and luke didn't seem like the guy to judge me on my stupid conversations.

"i'm sorry, i'm annoying," i sighed, "not a lot of people will listen to me. if you want me to stop talking just tell me. oh wait. uh...you can kick me? or tap me? you could even push me down, i honestly don't care." i studied him and smirked when i saw the small smile again.

"do you think i can't see your little smiles?"

he shrugged.

"because i can. you know, it's okay to show emotions. normal people do it."

he stopped and stared at me, his eyes filled with hurt. i went over what i said in my head and tried to pick out what was wrong. normal people do it.

"fuck, shrug, i don't mean that you're not normal. i'm so sorry i didn't mean that. i just mean that it would be nice if you showed me some emotion. so i would know if i'm funny, or nice, or pretty, or ugly, or if you hate me, or...i don't know. i would just like to see you smile."

he sighed deeply.

"see, there. i now got more out of you than a shrug. it's progress."

he started walking again. i continued to ask him questions or say random things to try and get a reaction.

i huffed, "i will seriously take off my shirt right now just to see you give me a full smile. you know, i would take a disgusted look too considering there's nothing there. compared to most girls, i'm as flat as a wall."

he stared at my face, his eyes flickering to my chest and then quickly back to my eyes. his cheeks were a bit rosy but he smiled. it was more than his closed lips smile that stayed on his face for .5 seconds. it was a half smile that stayed on his face for awhile and it could end world hunger.

"yes!" i grinned and jumped up and down, "i did it! i got luke whatever-your-last-name-is to smile at me! this is the biggest accomplishment i've ever made!"

he shrugged it off and kept walking.

"i like your smile. well, the half of your mouth that smiled. it was cute and nice and i saw your dimple. you're just really cute," my eyes widened and i blushed, looking at my feet. i didn't mean to say that. he didn't seem to mind, though. he kept looking straight ahead of him.