YouLube

Top 10 Things to Know about Lubricants

Lube is short for lubricant and can make sex more pleasurable. Because sex can involve lots of body parts rubbing together, lube is a safe way to reduce friction that can cause irritation and pain. There are, like, a hundred different kinds of lube out there, or your local drugstore may only have a few. Either way, it is important to know some things about the stuff so you choose one that is right for you and your partner. Here, then, are the top 10 important things to know about lube:

1. Natural Lube: A woman’s vagina produces its own natural lubricant when a woman is turned on. The amount of lubrication is different from woman to woman. Using additional lube that you buy in a store is okay and may be necessary.

2. No Natural Lube: Unlike the vagina, the anus (of both men and women) does not produce any natural lube. No lube means lots of friction, which means high risk of torn condoms, scraped skin, and sexually transmitted infections. So always use lube if having anal sex.

3. Lube on Lube: Lubricated condoms come with lube already on them. It’s okay to use additional lube if you want, and it’s especially a good idea for anal sex. It is always good to have extra lube standing by just in case!

4. Designed for Sex: Only use store-bought lubes that are supposed to be used for sexual activity. Never use homemade lubes or other products not intended for sex (like hand cream or baby oil—unless you’re flying solo). Spit is not lube, despite what you may have seen in porn!

5. Check the Ingredients List: Know what you’re getting into and what’s getting into you. It’s a good idea to compare lubes and choose one without any risky ingredients.

So…

6. Allergy Alert: Look for any ingredients that you may be allergic to. If you find one, don’t use that lube.

7. Sugar-Free: Stay away from lubes that contain any type of “sugar” or “glycerin” (flavored lubes especially have these). Sugars can increase the risk of some infections, such as yeast infections in women.

8. No Oil: Never use a lubricant that is oil-based (such as petroleum jelly). Oils break down latex and will eat through condoms. Condoms with holes don’t work so great! Always look for water-based lubricants.

9. Avoid Spermicidal Lubricants: These contain harmful chemicals that can irritate the mouth, penis, vagina, and anus—so placing you more at risk for STIs.

10. No Numbing: Many lubricants are advertised as helping to “prolong pleasure.” Be cautious of these products.

Often these lubricants actually use numbing ingredients that make the mouth, penis, vagina, and anus less sensitive.

But this will also numb any pain you may experience.

Pain is our body’s way of warning us that damage is being done, and that is something you definitely want to know!