Being a Man, Flexing My Muscles

By Marlon Anderson

 Come on guys, all ya’ll know that sometimes we as guys try to act like we’re the shit. I mean, we all try to put up a front when we are around our boys, acting like we’re all thugs, gangsters, playboys, etc. But on a real tip, both you and I know that it is just a mask that we put on at times to impress our friends and G’s. 

I can be a man and admit that there were mad times when I tried to be something I knew that I wasn’t. Boy did I front. I would do things that I did not want to do because I was too interested in impressing my boys from my hood. For example, I got into many fights that I wouldn’t have if my boys hadn’t been there. I would also do things like bun weed, get drunk, and even have sex with certain G’s that I wasn’t even really feeling for just to belong to a popular crowd. 

I ain’t even going to front still: most of the things that I allowed my boys to influence me into doing made me into a local celebrity in my hood. Let me tell you, when I was the shit, everyone wanted to be my friend. Not to sound cocky, but I had G’s and dudes begging to chill with me. I was even a part of a gang for a minute. Yo, I was on cloud nine, but all of that fame came crashing down like a wrecked plane in the end. I was shot at, and had to move away from my neighborhood for a while. Check this, I even had people approaching my house, telling my grandmother that they were looking for my ass. I then started being harassed by the police. 

The turning point in my life was when I got arrested. Where were all of my socalled boys 4 life? And I ended up getting kicked out of my crib because I had decided that it would be cool to thief my granny’s car with my boys when she went away on vacation. I drove home drunk and ended up totaling the car. When I was kicked out on the street, my boys, who I thought would be there 4 life, never cared about what I was going through. And no other family member of mine wanted to have nothing to do with me because everyone was just totally fed up with my behavior. 

All that shit going down was a wakeup call for me. I stood up and said, Enough is enough. Fuck what my boys, other people, and even G’s had to say about me. I was ready to be a man and take full responsibility for my actions. Listen, a real man takes control of his life, and only a punk lets his boys control his every move. I can flex my muscles by taking full control of my life and doing the right things — not what others want me to do.