Chapter 8

{Authors note: this is the new and improved edited version. If you were reading the old version, it's in my works}

-Kristen-

I was actually going to go crazy if Carter kept clouding my mind like this, I couldn't handle this at all. I thought this walk to the park would be refreshing, but it clearly wasn't because all I thought about was Carter. Stupid, ridiculous Carter.

Once I got to the gates of the park, I heard a stick crack close behind me, and I froze. I had a feeling someone was following me the entire time, but every time I looked back to check, no one was there.

I slowly turned around to find the single last person I wanted to see.

He looked panicked, and started to come forward slowly. I sighed heavily. I knew he wanted to talk to me, and I needed to talk to him too, so I might as well not even fight him on it. There was no use.

Once he was in front of me, I couldn't stop the blush of being stared that formed on my face. "Is there something on my face?" I muttered, turning my gaze down on the beaten sidewalk. I heard him chuckle, and my eyes widened when I felt his finger tilt my chin back up to look at him.

"Here, let me see," He murmured, glancing around my face. It was incredibly silent, and I could literally feel my heart pumping out of my chest.

I felt vulnerable.

Vulnerability was something I very rarely felt, especially around Carter. I was never vulnerable around him. But right now, as he continued staring at me like he was, trying to find the obvious nothing on my face, that was the only thing I felt.

"Nope, nothing is on your face," He replied shortly after, averting his gaze and immediately taking his finger off of my chin.

I was truly fucked.

-Carter-

One of my favorite things to do was watch Kristen's cheeks flush up whenever she blushed. Her nose scrunched up a bit and her eyebrows did this thing where they would narrow, and it was all around the cutest thing.

She isn't just "Brendan's little sister" anymore, and it's been that way for a while now, and I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do now. What am I supposed to tell her? "Oh hey Kristen, I've had a crush on you for like six years and because of that drunken almost kiss I've been wanting to tell you how I feel about you more now than I've ever had before?"

Perfect.

Except she'll probably think I'm an idiot.

I guess it was now or never.

"Kristen? I uh, I need...can I tell you something?" Wow, that was probably the single most pathetic way to start. Now I feel like a bigger idiot. "I was just, uh,-"

I got cut off by a soft ringing sound coming from Kristen's pocket. She took her phone out of her pocket and check her text. I watched her expression fall drastically, and my eyes widened. I approached her, setting my hand on her shoulder.

"Kristen, what's going on?" I asked her, impatient.

"It's Rachel, she's i-in the hospital!"

____________________