Chapter 5

{Authors note: this is the new and improved edited version. If you were reading the old version, it's in my works}

-Kristen-

I took another swig from my wine bottle, staring up at my ceiling.

Carter Morrison.

Stupid Carter Morrison.

He was clouding my mind, even in my loopy state of drinking almost the entire bottle of wine.

He needs to stay out of my mind.

Why is he all of a sudden in my mind in the first place?

Brendan and Carter have been friends for as long as I can remember, I've literally grown up with the kid, and I always viewed him as my older brother's cocky best friend. He had his awkward stage, just like everyone else. He and Brendan had their rebel stage, just like everyone else. When they were twelve and I was eleven, I had a tiny crush on Carter, but that was probably only because he helped me when I skinned my knee falling off my bike. He's always been mean to me, and I've always tried to ignore him.

But here we are.

I sighed, setting my wine bottle down and getting out of my bed. Maybe I should go check and make sure the house isn't burning down.

I found Katie and Lizzie talking to each other in the kitchen, sipping on what looked like Mike's Hard Lemonade.

"Kristen!" Katie exclaimed when she saw me. "Where have you been?"

"In my room," I told her, reaching for a Mike's. Her eyes widened.

"Doing what...?" She asked hesitantly, and my eyes widened this time.

"No! Not what you're thinking," I answered, and they both visibly relaxed.

"Where's Rachel?" I asked, taking a swig of my drink.

"Probably with Justin somewhere," Lizzie replied, and we all looked at each other, taking a sip of our drinks. We trusted Rachel, and we trusted Justin, so we knew nothing super significant would happen, at least not right now.

I noticed the party dying down a little bit, so I checked the time on my phone. For it being three o'clock in the morning, there were actually more people than I thought would be here.

"Well guys, it's been real, but I'm drunk off wine and Mike's Hard Lemonade, so I am going to pass out in my bed in like five minutes." There were collective sounds of agreement. "I'm glad you came, you guys are welcome to sleep up in my room to avoid weird guys, but if you'll excuse me." I gave them all side hugs and dropped my Mike's bottle off in the kitchen before making my way up to my room.

It barely took me five minutes until I passed out, not even bothering to change, and the empty wine bottle still laying on the floor.

***

-Carter-

five hundred and twenty one.

That's how many times I've watched my ceiling fan spin around. It was pretty relaxing really.

I was in a pickle.

In my intoxicated state, I managed to look like an idiot and try to kiss my best friend's sister. My best friend's sister, whom I've known since we were like 8. And I can't get her expression out of my head. She looked confused, but what really is getting at me is that she looked scared.

I caused her to be scared of me.

The first thing I was going to do tomorrow is march right over to the Cortland residence and apologize. All I've been doing is sitting here, watching my ceiling fan have more life than me, slowly getting sober, and wishing away every shitty thought in my mind that has come up just to torture me. It has already hit four in the morning, and I knew I wasn't going to get very much sleep.

Because my thoughts were eating me alive.

Kristen Cortland has been taking over my thoughts for the past six years of my life.

It's crazy to think such a crazy thing because of our relationship between each other, but you know, shit happens. She hates me, and I will still crush on her so hard back, but only from afar.

Life sucks really.

Life sucks because if I wanted to tell Kristen how pretty she looked that day, or that her smile lit up the whole room, she would laugh in my face or roll her eyes at me and tell me to shove my head somewhere that didn't sound all that appealing.

When we were young, I would tease her, I would trip her as she walked by, I would pull her hair to make her scream, I did all these things to make her hate me, and I totally regretted it in the long run. She would never go out with a jerk like me.

But it didn't matter. Life sucks.

____________________